|Right, here’s another version of how to do it, but by using SID Xbox-HQ files. There’s a load of text, so get comfortable…
What do I need? —————–
– SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.Xbox-Hq & Splinter.Cell.v2.0.PAL.Xbox-Hq
+ Latest MS Dash (version 5960), just run a newish game with Xbox Live support (Burnout 3, Need for Speed Underground 2, etc.) and this will update your MS dash to the latest one. Alternatively, you can extract it from Auto-Installer Deluxe v1.0 and higher. Extract the Auto-Installer Deluxe ISO and go to Files\Dash. You’ll see a ms-c.zip file here, which contains the MS Dash 5960. Use either FTP or other means to transfer it over to E:\Backup\MS\ once the Softmod has been installed. You can also just Format C, install the new MS Dash, then re-apply the Softmod.
+ An Xbox Memory Card, Action Replay, Mega X-Key, or a compatible USB Memory Stick (you will need a USB Adapter cable for this) to store the gamesaves so that you can load them on to your unmodded Xbox.
+ An Original of either 007 Agent Under Fire, Mechassault, or Splinter Cell. Please note that the Xbox Classics range WILL NOT work, it must be the older versions.
How do I do it? – 007 Agent Under Fire Install
1. Copy the zip file of SID.007.AUF.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. The best ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or Action Replay to dump the ZIP files on to.
2. Make sure the gamesave is on your unmodded Xbox, then insert 007 AUF.
3. When you’re at the main menu of the game, select “Load Mission” and then highlight “Xbox HDD”. Press A to boot the Installer.
How do I do it? – Mechassault Install
1. Copy the zip file of SID.007.MechAssault.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. The best ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or Action Replay to dump the ZIP files on to.
2. Make sure the gamesave is on your unmodded Xbox, then insert MechAssault.
3. When you’re at the main menu of the game, select “Campaign” and then highlight “Run Linux”. The information below should be shown when highlighing this, if so press A to boot the Installer. If not, your version of MechAssult is too new (the exploit was patched in later releases).
Current Level: Going Down Hard
How do I do it? – Splinter Cell Install
1. Copy the zip file of SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. Also copy Splinter.Cell.v2.0.PAL.Xbox-Hq as it’s needed too. The best ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or Action Replay to dump the ZIP files on to.
2. Make sure the gamesave is on your unmodded Xbox, then insert Splinter Cell.
3. When you’re at the main menu of the game, select “Load Game” and then highlight “Linux”. Tress A to boot the Installer.
Time to make a backup
1. Once the Installer has boot, I strongly suggest to make a backup of your C Drive. Use the “Create C Backup” option to backup your C drive. To back up the Eeprom you’ll need to use the Evolution X dashboard, which you will have to install yourself after the softmod is done. The Eeprom backup is stored at C:\Backup (this can’t be changed unfortunately) so please remember this.
2. Install the Softmod. Please note this deletes the MS Dash from C Drive, hence why you have been told to use the backup feature.
3. Install what dashboard you wish to use. Unfortunately due to lack of space I can only put Evolution X and UnleashX in this package, I hope that is good enough.
4. Shut down your Xbox, then restart it and remove the disc. If this has worked like it should, you should see your choice of dashboard (either EvoX or UnleashX). Please note if you boot your Xbox and leave the DVD Tray open it will take you back to the menu where you installed your Softmod.
To get the MS Dashboard back
1. If you want to put the MS Dashboard back on your Xbox, you’ll need to put MS Dash 5960 on your Xbox. The easiest way to do this (once the box is softmodded) is to use my Auto-Installer Deluxe to delete the files from C Drive and install the latest MS Dash. (Files for doing this aren’t available from here)
2. Restart your Xbox with the DVD tray open to bring up the Softmod menu. Run the “Patch MS 5960” now, and it will put the MS Dash back on C Drive, and patch it so your Dashboards can now use it. Note, the MS Dashboard will be called msdash.xbe now, since the Xbox still needs the hacked xboxdash.xbe in order to boot the softmod. Once you’ve selected this option, it will run through some tasks, then boot PPF-XBOX to do the rest. After PPF-XBOX has done it’s work it will restart your Xbox.
3. Now is the time to make a backup of your modded C drive. This comes handy just in case a game tries to update your dashboard. If this ever happens, just use the “Restore Mod Backup”. If you ever want to remove the Softmod (mainly for Xbox Live purposes) you can restore your backup of C Drive by using the “Restore C Backup” option in the Softmod menu.
|This was created by DJB with a bit of editing to make it smaller and a bit easier to read. The methods shown above are pretty much the same to perform than the 007 method in the threads original post, but they should work just as effectively.
||Disclaimer: This is a guide to softmodding an Xbox that can be also be found elsewhere on the internet, I (aceman) or we (Mental Gamers) hold no responsibility for any circumstances resulting from the use of this guide. Mental Gamers and I do not endorse or condone any possible illegal activity from using a softmodded Xbox. The use of this guide is of the users responsibility, if anything goes wrong, it’s your own fault as nobody is not telling you to do it, just providing information on how it is possible. In other words, if you fuck it up, it’s your own fault.